Alert Level 3 Today!
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Written by Alan Vink
Categories: Pastors Blog
Tags: Church and society
I have chosen to write on COVID19 situation in NZ this morning and the sad news of 4 confirmed cases (as I write) of community transmission in Auckland. I have just come back to my office having watched TV1 from 7.00-7.20am. I would like to recommend you watch it if you didn’t see it. You will see short interviews with Prof Michael Baker and Dr Siouxsie Wiles. There are a number of other very helpful interviews for the next hour.
I want to write as one Christian leader to 600 other pastors and Christian leaders today.
Further and sadly, but somewhat predictably I am going to read today many people including a disproportionate number of Christians talking and writing about Government over-reach, Jacinda is a commie and that this is all part of a big plan by the Government.
Here are a few of my reflections.
- We here in NZ have been COVID free for 102 days because of the policy of ‘going hard and going early’ in March.
- We here in NZ have had the lowest mortality rate from COVID in the world.
- We are living on the door step of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. They took 5 weeks to take the action our Government took last night effective from midday today.
- We are in the midst of a Global Pandemic. It is still raging all around the world.
- Most independent health experts here in NZ are in total support of the Government’s actions. They were in March and they are again now.
- There is now good academic research and studies that conclude if you deal to the virus, you minimise ‘pain’ and hardship for both lives AND livelihoods (infection rates and business health). See this article and related links as just one of many examples.
- Our PM has consistently shown throughout this whole ordeal that a) she genuinely cares about the health of all NZ’ers and b) she is listening very carefully to her chief medical and public health advisor, Dr Ashleigh Bloomfield.
- With 36 days to go to the elections no Government wants to have to take the action they have had to take let alone lifting the Alert levels even further which clearly is a possibility as at writing.
- There is absolutely no evidence neither now or previously that Government or anyone else is unfairly targeting Christian churches or any religious groups for that matter.
- It is in my opinion very unfortunate that COVID19 has been and continues to be politicised. A health crisis of this magnitude should not become a political football. It needs bi-partisan action and support.
And finally, please go and get tested if you have any symptoms at all and do what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Dr Ashleigh Bloomfield are asking of us. Together ‘Team 5 million’ can win against this horrible and deadly virus once again.
And when all is said and done let us Pray.
Alan Vink is currently the Executive Director for LeadershipWorx. Prior to this role he has been the Executive Director of Willow Creek Association NZ (WillowNZ), a Baptist pastor (23 years), Bible College teacher, and church consultant.